How to Become a Real Estate Broker in Texas
Follow these steps per Texas state requirements and you're on your way.
How To Get Your Texas Broker Real Estate License in 4 Steps
Getting your broker license may seem like a daunting undertaking at first, but we’ve demystified the process for you. Follow these simple steps to get started today!
To be eligible, broker candidates must fulfill the following Experience Requirements, per TREC:
- Have at least four years’ active experience as a licensed real estate sales agent or broker during the 60-month period preceding the filing of the application.
- Your experience must total 3600 points and be reported on the Qualifying Experience Report for a Broker License. You must also include a transaction identification list for each transaction claimed on the experience report.
Meet the Experience Requirements as a licensed agent in the state of Texas.
The criteria listed above detail the requirements based on the Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC). Click here for more information.
Complete 270 hours of qualifying Pre-Licensing education.
The Texas Real Estate Commission requires all candidates to complete these courses:
- Principles of Real Estate I (30 classroom hours)
- Principles of Real Estate II (30 classroom hours)
- Law of Agency (30 classroom hours)
- Law of Contracts (30 classroom hours)
- Promulgated Contracts Forms (30 classroom hours)
- Real Estate Finance (30 classroom hours)
- Real Estate Brokerage (30 classroom hours)
Additional Courses Required to Meet the 270 Required Hours:
- Real Estate Appraisal (30 classroom hours)
- Real Estate Investment (30 classroom hours)
NOTE: An additional 630 classroom hours in related qualifying courses acceptable to the Commission or approved Continuing Education (CE) courses is required to become eligible for a broker license. A Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university satisfies all of the related education requirements for a broker license. A copy of the college transcript awarding the degree must be submitted as evidence of completion of the degree.
The CE Shop is a TREC approved real estate education provider and offers all the classes you need to qualify for your license. Through an advanced web-based platform designed specifically for real estate professionals, each course combines the most recent real estate education with the flexibility and convenience of online learning. Courses are taught using real-world scenarios and practical examples, preparing you for a promising career as a sales agent while providing the knowledge you need to pass your licensing exam.
Complete and submit the application to become a broker with the state of Texas.
You can find the application here using your TREC username and password.
This application includes a fee to be paid to TREC. A background check is also required along with providing your fingerprints for the Texas Department of Public Safety to keep on file.
Schedule, take, and pass the Broker Real Estate Exam.
Register and pass the broker exam with the exam provider, PearsonVUE. For more information, visit the PearsonVUE website here.
Ready to get started?
Check out our course and package options!
Start a free trial today.
Sign up for a free 5-day trial, no credit card required!