Maryland Continuing Education COURSE
DL/Maryland Real Estate Code of Ethics
Ethical real estate professionals who adhere to a high set of standards are the foundation for creating and maintaining confidence and stability in an ever-changing marketplace. Recognizing the need to promote ethical business practices, the Maryland Real Estate Commission maintains and enforces the Maryland Code of Ethics. Because some state licensees also are members of the National Association of REALTORS®, it’s important to additionally be familiar with the NAR Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.
This 3-hour course offers a full review of Maryland's Code of Ethics, as well as the NAR Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice. In addition, the course includes a review of the enforcement processes and penalties associated with both codes. The course also includes workplace case studies that illustrate the codes in practice and touch on such relevant matters as agency, fiduciary responsibilities, disclosures, and more.
Course highlights include:
- A detailed look at the rules and obligations outlined in the Maryland Code of Ethics, as well as those outlined in the NAR Code of Ethics
- A review of the penalties associated with state and NAR ethics violations
- An overview of who interprets and enforces the state and NAR codes
- A discussion of the differences between mediation and arbitration
- A look at state and federal legislative and regulatory efforts to stop predatory lending and illegal property flipping
- Real-life case studies that illustrate workplace practices and code of ethics violations
- Activities and examples to seal in the new information and frame it in everyday context