Maryland Continuing Education COURSE
(Ethics-D) DL/Maryland Real Estate Code of Ethics
Ethical real estate professionals who adhere to a high set of standards are the foundation for creating and maintaining confidence and stability in an ever-changing marketplace. Recognizing the need to promote ethical business practices, the Maryland Real Estate Commission maintains and enforces the Maryland Code of Ethics. Because some state licensees also are members of the National Association of REALTORS®, it’s important to additionally be familiar with the NAR Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.
Revised in January 2022 and designed to meet NAR Cycle 7 requirements, this three-hour course offers a full review of Maryland's Code of Ethics, as well as the NAR Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice. In addition, the course includes a review of the enforcement processes and penalties associated with both codes. The course also includes workplace case studies that illustrate the codes in practice and touch on such relevant matters as agency, fiduciary responsibilities, disclosures, and more. The course protects consumers by reminding licensees that ethical practices aren’t just the “right thing to do”—they’re the law.
Course highlights include:
- The rules and obligations outlined in the Maryland Code of Ethics and the NAR Code of Ethics
- The penalties associated with state and NAR ethics violations
- Interpretation and enforcement entities for both codes of ethics
- The differences between mediation and arbitration
- State and federal legislative and regulatory efforts to stop predatory lending and illegal property flipping
- Real-life case studies that illustrate workplace practices and code of ethics violations
- Activities and examples to seal in the new information and frame it in everyday context
*This course was designed by us to meet the REALTOR® Code of Ethics Training Requirement. Please confirm that your local association, who administers the Code of Ethics training, will accept this course.