Become an Agent in OH
How To Get Your Ohio Real Estate License
5 Steps To Get Your Ohio Real Estate License
Getting your Ohio real estate license might seem daunting, but we’re here to guide you
through the process.
Read on to learn about the five steps you’ll need to complete before starting your career in Ohio real estate. To learn about how much it costs to get your real estate license, visit our Ohio Pre-Licensing pricing page.Buy your Ohio Pre-Licensing »
To start, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be a U.S. Citizen or legal alien.
- Hold a high school diploma or its equivalent if you were born after 1950.
- Be honest, truthful, and of good reputation.
- Not have been convicted of a felony or crime of moral turpitude.
- Not have violated any civil rights laws regarding real estate within the last two years.
- What is the average OH real estate agent salary? According to indeed.com, the average full time Ohio real estate agent salary is $75,435 per year.
- How long does it take to get a real estate agent license in Ohio? Future agents who spend about 20 hours per week on coursework can be licensed in as little as 3-4 weeks.
- You can use the Ohio Real Estate Agent License Lookup Tool to verify an agent's license status.
Complete 120 hours of approved Pre-Licensing education.
Successfully complete 120 clock-hours of approved Pre-Licensing salesperson courses. Learn more about your package options here.
Pass the course final exams.
After you complete each course, you must pass the course final exam with a score of 70% or higher. Course completions are valid for 10 years after the date of issuance.
Select a Sponsoring Broker.
To be licensed, you must be associated with and sponsored by a current and active Ohio Broker. It's important to find the right Broker to work with since this person will serve as your mentor as you start your new career in real estate. Here are some questions to consider during your search:
- What is their reputation, both locally and nationally?
- What kind of real estate agents are they looking for?
- Are they technologically advanced and up-to-date with the latest systems?
- How do they support their agents with education and training?
- What kind of commission structure do they offer?
- Do they offer benefits?
- Do they provide their agents with leads and marketing material?
- Is there room to grow with the brokerage?
If you aren’t sure how to find the right Sponsoring Broker to work with as you launch your Ohio real estate career, Agent Start can help. While taking Pre-Licensing courses with The CE Shop, you will be given the option to enroll in Agent Start, which aims to help connect you with our Broker partners in your state that are looking for new agents.
Complete the real estate license application.
Once the division processes a complete application, your information is sent to the testing vendor, PSI. The testing vendor will process the information and send you a candidate information bulletin with instructions on scheduling your exam.
The Ohio Division of Real Estate requires a fingerprint check. Please contact the division for further information.
Pass the Ohio real estate salesperson exam.
PSI administers the Ohio real estate salesperson licensing exam. Ohio is providing the option of taking the licensing exam remotely instead of at a physical testing center location. PSI will still have in-person on site testing still available for those students who wish to take the exam in-person instead of online. Beginning August 11, 2021, candidates can schedule their exam at the PSI website. If you have any scheduling issues, PSI has a dedicated number for OH candidates: call (855) 834-8749.
The 120-question test has two portions covering both state and national requirements. You will have 180 minutes to complete the exam, 120 minutes to complete 80 questions for the national portion and 60 minutes for the 40 question state portion. For more information, see the PSI candidate information bulletin.
Do you need help passing your Ohio real estate exam? The CE Shop also offers comprehensive Exam Prep tailored to Ohio. If you have any additional questions, visit our Ohio real estate exam frequently asked questions page.
Ready to get started?
Enroll with Davis College now!
State of Ohio Certificate of Registration No. 81-02-0731B