Online Proctoring Instructions for Texas
Texas Final Exam Online Proctoring Process
The CE Shop is proud to offer free proctoring for all final exams
in Texas Pre-Licensing courses and SAE courses.
Steps for Online Proctoring
After you complete all the course materials and pass the practice exam, there's a final exam in each course. TREC regulation mandates that all of our final course exams are proctored by a credible third party to ensure the integrity of our students and our exams.
We have partnered with PSI to offer our students online proctoring, which means you are able to take your final course exam at your convenience from the comfort of your home while being monitored by a remote proctor through video and screen sharing capabilities.
Review the steps below to prepare for your online proctored final exam.
Complete & pass your course practice exam(s) (proctoring not required).
At the end of each course, we offer a practice exam. Our practice exam is meant to give you an idea of the kinds of questions you’ll see on the actual final exam, and to help you identify areas that you need to brush up on before attempting the final exam.
- You do not need a proctor for this.
- Unlimited exam attempts.
Set up your online proctor account through PSI.
We have partnered with PSI to bring you a convenient online proctoring solution. Before you can take your final exam, you must set up your account and schedule a time with PSI. Follow these steps:
- Create an account with PSI at www.examslocal.com.
- Select the course name that corresponds with your school name.
Confirm that you meet the minimum technical requirements & download the secure proctoring browser.
The technical requirements for the proctoring process are a bit higher than for the course. You will not be able to use a tablet, since tablets don't allow you to share your screen with a proctor. Here’s a list of what you need:
- Laptop or desktop computer
- Strong internet connection – Minimum 500 Kbps download and 256 Kbps upload; we recommend 5Mbps or higher upload and download
- Current version of Google Chrome or some other Chromium-based browser
- Flash player (for PC users)
- Ability to download a small program: PSI’s secure web browser
NOTE: Please be aware that macOS 10.15 Catalina has caused compatibility issues and may prevent your exam from launching properly. Please use a computer that does not have this update.
You can test your system setup easily here.
Schedule your proctored exam.
- Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance and are subject to availability.
- You are able to schedule your exam during our Customer Services hours, Monday-Friday 7AM – 9PM CST and Saturday-Sunday 9AM – 6PM CST.
- There is no proctoring fee for Texas course exams.
Prepare for your final exam.
Because you must schedule your proctored final exam at a minimum of 24 hours in advance, we recommend using this time to review your course content one more time, and maybe take another practice exam.
Take your proctored final exam. Watch the video here.
- When it’s time to take your final exam, make sure you have the following:
- Photo ID. Military IDs cannot be accepted.
- Blank paper. You will be asked to show the blank paper to the proctor via your webcam. Following the completion of your exam, you will be required to rip up the paper.
- Writing utensil.
- Basic calculator. Your calculator cannot have letters, and you cannot use your phone or computer calculator.
- Clean desk. You cannot have notes, papers, or anything else on your desk during the exam.
- Empty, well-lit room. You must have a quiet space free of all other people.
- No earlier than 15 minutes prior to your appointment time, go to https://www.examslocal.com/.
- Log in to your account.
- Click "My Exams" and select the exam you wish to start.
- Click the “Launch Exam” button.
- A small program file will download to your computer. Click the file to open it and select “Run” to install the program. If any pop-ups ask if you approve, click Yes or Okay.
- A live proctor will connect with you via a chat box. You’ll read the rules and sign off on them.
- The proctor will check to make sure your webcam and microphone are working properly and that screen sharing has been activated. You will be asked to share your screen for all connected equipment.
- The proctor will ask you to slowly move the webcam around the room to verify that you are alone and that your desk is clear of restricted items.
- The proctor will ask you to show your photo ID. Hold it up to the webcam to verify your identity.
- The proctor will ask you to show your blank pieces of scratch paper.
- Hold them up to the webcam to verify that each page is blank.
- When prompted, you will log in to your course and start the final exam.
- The proctor will enter a code to launch the exam.
- You will take your exam in the proctor’s presence.
- When you finish the exam, click Submit. You will see your results immediately.
- When it’s time to take your final exam, make sure you have the following:
Review your exam results.
- When you pass, you will be prompted to complete a survey and affidavit. At that point, you have completed your course and the proctor will end the session with you. We will issue you a Certificate of Completion by email.
- If you do not pass on the first attempt, you will have another chance. The proctor will end the session, and you may set up a new appointment time. In Texas, final exams must be passed with a minimum of 70%. Within 90 days of the original examination, a student may retest after a failed exam a maximum of one time.
- If you do not pass a second time, you must repeat the course prior to being eligible to take the end-of-course examination again, per TREC regulations.
Which states require proctoring?
The following states allow online proctoring:
For information on proctoring in these other states, click here.
The following states require in-person proctoring. For more information on the in-person proctoring process, click here.
- New York
- South Carolina
Note: Due to restrictions surrounding COVID-19, the states of Arizona, Minnesota, New York, and South Carolina have determined that you may conduct your qualifying course final examination online with e-proctoring. This new method of completing your exam is temporary due to state regulations. Click here for more information.
How much does a proctored final exam cost?
All proctored exams for Texas courses are offered at no cost to the student. This includes first and second exam attempts.
How is COVID-19 impacting my proctored exam?
Our online proctoring solution is running business as usual, so you can take your proctored final exam at your convenience. A few states that usually require in-person proctoring have temporarily approved online proctoring during closures. You can find full details here: https://www.theceshop.com/covid19.
What devices can I take my proctored exam on?
Proctored exams must be taken on a laptop or desktop computer. You will not be able to use a tablet or mobile phone.
What do I do if I missed my scheduled exam?
If you missed your scheduled exam, please reach out to PSI to reschedule. They can be reached at 888.504.9178.
What if I need to reschedule my exam?
If you need to reschedule an exam, please reach out to PSI to reschedule. They can be reached at 888.504.9178.
I’m having technical difficulties and I’m supposed to be taking my exam right now. What do I do?
If you are having technical difficulties with the PSI secure browser download, set up, or launch, please contact PSI at 888.504.9178.
If you are having technical difficulties within your exam within The CE Shop course, please contact our Customer Service team at 888.827.0777 or email us at Support@TheCEShop.com
Who do I contact with questions?
For technical questions about the online proctoring process, please contact PSI at 888.504.9178.
For questions about The CE Shop courses, please contact our Customer Service team at 888.827.0777 or email us at Support@TheCEShop.com.