Become an Agent in IA
How To Get Your Iowa Real Estate License
Learn the Steps To Become A Real Estate Agent In Iowa
Getting your Iowa real estate license might seem daunting, but we’re here to guide you through the process on how to become a real estate agent in Iowa.
Read on to learn the five steps you’ll need to complete before starting your career in Iowa real estate. To learn about how much it costs to get your real estate license, visit our Iowa Pre-Licensing pricing page.Buy your Iowa Pre-Licensing »
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a legal U.S. resident (Note: An applicant is not ineligible because of citizenship, sex, race, religion, marital status, or national origin, although the application form may require citizenship information.)
- In the past 12 months, you must not have had an application rejected for licensure in Iowa or any other state, or have had your real estate license revoked in Iowa or any other state within the two years prior to applying
- You must not have been convicted of a felony concerning a breach of fiduciary duty in the past five years
- You must not have been convicted of any offense involving moral turpitude in the past year, e.g. assault, robbery, fraud, etc
- What is the average IA real estate agent salary? According to indeed.com, the average full time Iowa real estate agent salary is $85,265 per year.
- How long does it take to get a real estate agent license in Iowa? Future agents who spend about 20 hours per week on coursework can be licensed in as little as 3-4 weeks.
- You can use the Iowa Real Estate Agent License Lookup Tool to verify an agent's license status.
Complete the Required Iowa Pre-Licensing education
Before you apply for your license you must complete a total of 96 hours of Pre-Licensing education. 60 of these 96 hours can be completed online in our convenient mobile-friendly format.
- 60 hours of Real Estate Principles and Practices
- 12 Hours of Developing Professionalism and Ethical Practices (In-person course only; not offered by The CE Shop)
- 12 Hours of Buying Practices (In-person course only; not offered by The CE Shop)
- 12 Hours of Listing Practices (In-person course only; not offered by The CE Shop)
Pass the course final exam.
After you complete all the course materials, you’ll need to score at least a 75% on the unit exams. Then you’ll need to score a 70% on the final exam issued by your Pre-Licensing real estate school.
Pass the Iowa Real Estate Examination
PSI administers the Iowa Real Estate Salesperson Licensing Exam. The examination fee is $95 and you’ll need to take the exam within 12 months of completing your Pre-Licensing education.
The exam consists of 120 questions and includes two sections covering both state and national requirements. To pass, you’ll need to answer 56 out of 80 questions (70%) correctly on the national portion and 28 out of 40 questions (70%) on the state portion for a total of 84 out of 120 (70%).
For more information, see the PSI candidate information bulletin.
Purchase Errors and Omissions (E&O) Insurance
You must have an E&O insurance policy in place before obtaining an active license. For more information on the Iowa’s Errors & Omissions insurance requirements click here.
Find a Sponsoring Broker
After passing your licensing exam, you must associate with a current and active Iowa Sponsoring Broker. This Broker will be a career and education mentor, providing you with an inside view into the day-to-day operations of a real estate agent.
Here are some questions to consider when searching for the right Broker:
- What is their reputation, both locally and nationally?
- What kind of real estate agents are they looking for?
- Are they technologically advanced and up-to-date with the latest systems?
- How do they support their agents with education and training?
- What kind of commission structure do they offer?
- Do they offer benefits?
- Do they provide their agents with leads and marketing material?
- Is there room to grow with the brokerage?
Get a Background Check
Next, you must submit a set of fingerprints to the Iowa Bureau of Investigation. This is for the purpose of conducting an Iowa and national fingerprint-based, criminal history background check, utilizing records of the IBI and the FBI. For more information, click here.
All applicants will need to visit https://plb.iowa.gov/ and create a login for DataPro (aka "My Iowa PLB"). Then you will have to electronically submit your request for a fingerprint packet through the application named "RE - Background Request” and pay a $51 fee.
Complete the Iowa Real Estate Salesperson Application
The final step is to apply for your Iowa real estate Salesperson license. Applications must be submitted within six months of taking the state-issued exam.
Here’s what you’ll need to complete the process:
- Pay the $125 application fee
- Proof that you’ve completed the necessary Pre-Licensing education requirements
- Documentation that you’ve successfully passed the Iowa licensing exam
- Proof of E&O insurance coverage
- The notarized signature of your employing broker on your license application form
- Your signature notarized on the license application form