Washington 2016-2017: Current Issues in Residential Real Estate
This course provides an overview of recent legislative changes in Washington. Among these are the new dual agency disclosure requirements, a recent court ruling that puts responsibility to investigate known defects squarely in the buyer’s court, and the impact of licensing law changes on the language in the Revised Code of Washington. Real estate professionals will learn about geologic and landslide perils, including changes to the National Flood Insurance Program. Additional highlights of this course include the new ruling related to the Truth in Lending Act and the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act. The course provides guidelines for licensees to minimize risk when making third party referrals, accepting documents signed by guardians, attorneys in fact, personal representatives, corporations, LLCs and trustees; assisting with distressed property transactions, working with licensed and unlicensed assistants, and advertising on the Internet in general and specifically on social media platforms. The course provides an overview of fair housing laws at the state, local and federal level, discusses property management requirements and restrictions, and tackles some hot market issues including multiple offers, cooperating among brokers, pocket listings, and personal safety.
Course highlights include:
- An analysis of language changes in code, reflecting licensing law revisions
- A look at changes to Washington’s dual agency disclosure requirements
- An in-depth look at a landmark court case, Douglas v. Visser, and its impact on a buyer’s decision to investigate known defects
- A discussion of issues inherent with distressed properties including out of state sellers, unfamiliar documents, and verbal agreements, and how licensees can protect themselves and their clients when faced with these issues
- Guidelines for licensees to avoid common violations relating to the use of licensed and unlicensed assistants, online advertising, fair housing law, multiple offers, property management, professional cooperation and pocket listings