New York Continuing Education COURSE
Fair Housing and Agency in New York (includes 3 hrs. of Fair Housing and 1 hr. of Agency)
Developing and maintaining a detailed understanding of fair housing and agency issues can help you better serve your clients, customers, and brokerage. Discriminatory practices are illegal. As a knowledgeable real estate professional, you’re required to provide equal services to clients and customers regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status, or disability. And those are just the federally protected classes. The state of New York recognizes numerous others. Can you name them? Do you know when to present the New York State Housing and Anti-Discrimination Disclosure Form? Have you ever noticed an advertisement that violated fair housing laws? Have you ever witnessed a discriminatory situation?
Knowing the protected classes in your area, as well as the intricacies of federal and state fair housing laws, allows you to spot violations, uphold the law, and protect your clients’ interests.
Course highlights include:
- An overview of protected classes recognized by the federal Fair Housing Act and the New York State Human Rights Law
- A review of New York’s Gender Expression Non-Discrimination Act (GENDA)
- A look at the New York State Housing and Anti-Discrimination Disclosure Form and the New York Fair Housing Notice
- Instructions for filing a fair housing complaint at the federal or state level
- An examination of redlining, blockbusting, and steering
- Tips for ensuring advertisements adhere to fair housing guidelines
- A review of fiduciary duties, the differences between clients and customers, and the role of cooperating agents
- Activities and scenarios to reinforce key concepts