Nebraska Continuing Education COURSE
Assistance Animals And Fair Housing
How does the concept of reasonable accommodation play out in property management? Must a property manager accept a tenant's emotional support animal, and under what conditions? With some airlines accepting miniature horses on board as service animals, can Apartment 3B be far behind? How does the Fair Housing Act apply, and where does it all stop?
This three-hour course explores the issues and options for landlords and property managers surrounding assistance animals, helps real estate professionals recognize scenarios in which the fair housing and disabilities laws apply, and helps licensees ensure that individuals with disabilities have equal access to housing.
Course highlights include:
- The evolving fair housing law
- How the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Fair Housing Act differ and overlap
- Disability terms
- Assistance animal categories
- How to handle reasonable requests for accommodation
- Practical application of the laws in property management scenarios
- Case studies and legal trends
- Activities and scenarios to reinforce key concepts