Hawaii Continuing Education COURSE
2021 Hawaii Core Part A: Fair Play in Fair Housing: It's Not a Game, It's the Law!
Access to housing is a basic necessity and fair housing laws apply to us all because we are all members of a protected class. Licensees have a responsibility to ensure they are compliant with and up to date on fair housing laws. These laws evolve as we become aware of new forms of discrimination.
While blatant discrimination is rare, it still occurs, and forms of more subtle discrimination are quite prevalent. In this course, you'll see how even recommending an area with "good schools" or passing on a buyer "love letter" to a seller can put licensees at risk of a fair housing complaint.
The more you know, the better.
- Recent legislation in Hawaii impacting property managers, seller disclosures, and homeowner associations
- A historyof fair housing law
- Fair housing laws at the state and federal level
- The fair housing complaint and enforcement process in Hawaii
- The problem with buyer cover letters
- Types of discrimination
- How to select and show properties without illegally steering
- Avoiding discriminatory clauses and screening in property management
- Ethical and business considerations