Anatomy of a Commercial Building
- A foundational understanding of foundations! Includes footings and how they work with foundations to form a system, design concerns of foundations including soil conditions, water tables, and live and dead loads.
- Design considerations for roofs, walls, windows, and doors.
- An overview of HVAC types and considerations, including cost, efficiency, and varying tenant needs.
- A look at electrical, lighting, controls, and fire and security alarms, and how they differ by building use and tenant need.
- How external conditions can impact building design, occupancy, and parking, including zoning and code location, topography, and environmental factors.
HOW DOES THIS HELP YOUR BUSINESS?
- Describe to clients and customers how tenant use factors into a building design.
- List and describe the components of a commercial building to help clients gain a better understanding.
- Explain how site conditions may impact a building's maintenance, durability, and resale value.
- List ways in which clients may save in construction costs and operating expenses based on materials selection.